Did you know that germs and bacteria accumulate on your marble floors, then mildew and mold start to grow unless you don’t clean them regularly?
Luckily, they can be cleaned with different methods but you’ve probably heard that high heat can result in serious problems and damage and degrade the floors over time.
So if you wonder “can you steam clean marble floors”. Stop here and read this Cleaners Advisor article first. We’ll give you a brief answer to your question” can you steam clean marble floors?” and will help you cope with the situation in the best way possible.
Keep in mind that the sooner you act and use the correct materials and methods, the better. We’ve also covered a similar cleaning guides like “how to clean grout on marble floor” and “is pine sol safe for marble floor”, make sure to read them if you want to clean your marble.
Why You Need to Know “Can You Steam Clean Marble Floors”?
Answering “can you steam clean marble floors” starts with understanding what it needs. Marble is a porous material that easily absorbs stains and germs.
Regular mopping with traditional methods can remove the surface stain and bacteria, but there is still a layer of grime beneath the surface. For that, you should know “can you steam clean marble floors” to remove germs that could later cause mold or discolor your marble floor (1).
Can You Steam Clean Marble Floors?
Marble requires special care and maintenance to keep it at its best due to its porous nature, which allows dirt and bacteria to easily adhere to it. As a result, you’ll need to clean it with effective cleaning equipment. But can you use a steam mop on marble floors?
Commercial steam cleaners should not be used in the house to clean marble flooring. The hot steam causes thermal expansion in the marble, which can cause the surface to degrade over time. The high heat might cause the fillers in the marble to fall out, leaving holes.
BUT, you can use home steam mops instead.
They are designed specifically for mopping floors with the added power of steam and are safe to clean marble floors because the temperature of the steam is not too high. They can also clean, disinfect and sanitize the marble floor (2).
But if you look after your marble regularly and properly, you will have no need for steam cleaning.
Materials and Tools Needed
You should keep these materials and tools in hand if you want to clean marble floors properly:
- Broom and Dustpan
- Microfiber Pad
- Pitcher or Funnel and Cup
- Steam Cleaner
How to Steam Mop Marble Floors?
We already answered your question “can you steam clean marble floors”. Steam mops are the best choice for marble floor cleaning because can clean, disinfect and sanitize the marble floor if cleaned properly. Following are the steps that will help to clean marble floors with steam mops:
1. Remove all furniture on the floor, including chairs, tables, and other items. Prior to steaming, make sure the floor is free of debris to ensure the cleanest results.
2. Sweep the floor from corner to corner thoroughly. Collect the dirt into a pile and sweep it into the dustpan. Dump the dirt in the garbage and set the broom aside.
3. Using the included pitcher, fill the steam mop’s canister with water. Most cleaners come with a pitcher, but if you don’t have one or it’s broken, simply pour water into the canister opening with a cup and funnel. Fill the canister with water up to the fill line on the outside.
4. Attach the microfiber pad to the cleaner’s base. Most pads are attached with a drawstring, which keeps the pad in place while in use but allows it to be easily freed for post-mopping clean-up.
5. Turn the machine on and wait for the water to heat up for around 15 seconds. You will notice steam beginning to rise from the microfiber pad. Start mopping the floor along with one of the walls. Continue until the entire floor has been steamed.
6. Allow the steam cleaner to cool for 10 minutes after turning it off. Remove the microfiber pad and wash it with other towels in the washing machine. After completion, the floor will dry fast, in about 10 minutes.
Can You Steam Clean Marble Floors FAQ
To Wrap Up
YES, you can clean marble floors with a steam mop if you take the proper precautions!
Are you going to try to steam clean marble floors with a steam mop? Read again the steps listed above and let us know how you get on in the comments.