Want your hat to look clean and feel fresh? You have to learn how to clean white hats and get your favorite white hat to its glamor. The good news is that no matter what material your white hat is made up of, there is a way to get out those unsightly stains.
In this CleanersAdvisor article, we’re going to go over the best cleaning methods of how to clean white hats. Then, you’ll find a few tips of how to wash a white hat. We’ve also covered a similar laundry guides like “how to get sweat stains out of hats, make sure to check it out!
Why Do White Hats Get Dirty So Quickly?
1. White color easily absorbs stains.
2. Your sweat changes the color and smell of the hat.
What to Consider Before You Get Sweat Stains out of White Hats?
Before answering your question about how to clean white hats, you should be aware of a few things to keep in mind.
1. Hat Material
Different cleaning methods are required for various materials. Your hat should, in general, have both material and manufacturing material on the inside. Always check the hat’s care label to confirm the material of the hat.
2. Washing Instructions
Most hats have washing instructions on the tag or printed somewhere inside. Make sure to read the care label to determine the appropriate cleaning method.
How to Clean White Hats?
Want to know how to clean white hats? There are two simple methods to get stains out of a white hat, depending on what the tag says. Here are several ways to clean white hats. Choose the appropriate method carefully!
A. Hand Washing
Wondering how to clean a white baseball cap? Handwashing takes a little more time and effort, but it’s the safest way to clean your hat. Remember, the label is the deciding factor. Follow these steps in sequence to clean a white hat properly:
1. Fill a sink or large bowl with warm water to wash a cotton, cotton blend, or synthetic hat.
Add 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, 1 tablespoon of detergent, and one scoop of baking soda or mild dish soap to the sink as it fills with water. With a spoon, mix the ingredients with a spoon.
2. For washing a wool hat, fill the sink with cool water or cold water and add one cap full of detergent that’s specifically for wool, such as Woolite or similar soap.
3. As long as your hat isn’t a material that shouldn’t have exposure to excess water, soak it in the soapy water.
4. Submerge your cotton or synthetic hat for 30 minutes and the wool hat for about an hour (2).
5. Gently Scrub any sweat stains or other grime away with a soft-bristled brush. If your hat is made of wool, you should avoid scrubbing the hat as this can cause the pilling of the wool (1).
6. Rinse the hat with water once you’re done cleaning the hat. Rinse the hat with warm water if it’s made of cotton or polyester. Rinse the hat with cool or cold water if it’s made of wool. Make sure the cleaning agents are rinsed from the hat.
7. You’ll need to air dry your hat once it’s rinsed. You should not put the hat in a dryer. Instead, hang the hat upside down in a bowl and let it dry in the sun.
For knit hats and similar styles, roll them loosely in a clean, dry, white towel and press lightly to get out excess water. Unroll the towel and hang it to dry.
Watch this video below to know more about how to clean white hats.
B. Washing Machine
Yes, use the washing machine if the label says it’s okay. However, if it says no machine-washing, you’re better off not trying to.
1. Pre-treat any stains inside the hat, on the brim, or around the crown with a non-bleach stain remover. If your hat has a colored print or stitching, make sure the stain remover is color-safe.
2. Put the hat in a mesh laundry bag or similar bag made for washing delicate items to protect it from the machine’s agitation.
3. You may either wash the hat solo or with a small load of white clothes in cold water on the delicate or gentle cycle (3).
4. Allow the hat to air dry. Your white hat should never be put in the dryer. Instead, air dry the hat outside, away from direct sunshine. Allow the hat to dry in a well-ventilated place as well.
General Tips for How to Clean White Hats
To make cleaning white hat process even easier, here are some important tips to keep in mind:
1. Sweat stains should be removed as soon as possible. This will make it easier to get rid of them.
2. If the stain persists, you can repeat any of our recommended procedures.
3. Always check the hat’s care label to see whether any further precautions are required.
4. Never put your hat in the dryer. It can melt!
How to Clean White Hats FAQ
To Wrap Up
Everything you need to know about how to clean white hats is here! Now that you know how to keep your white hat clean and fresh, it’s really not such a tough task, is it? Just remember to follow the cleaning instructions on your white hat.
Still have more questions, or do you want to add helpful information to this article? We want to hear it! Leave us a comment below!