Published by Enaam Siam on April 24, 2023 | Last updated on May 20, 2023
As a dog owner, you love your furry companion to the moon and back. However, one of the downsides of having a canine friend is dealing with the stubborn and unpleasant odors that come with them. One of the most common areas where dog smell lingers is your couch.
So we are where to help you master How to Get Dog Smell Out of Couch. Whether it’s because your pooch loves to cuddle with you or they simply like to take a nap on the sofa, getting rid of the dog smell on your couch can be a daunting task.
But fret not, as we’ve compiled some of the best and most practical ways to get rid of dog smell on your couch. From using natural ingredients to helpful tips on cleaning, you’ll soon be able to banish the stink and enjoy a fresh-smelling couch once again.
In this CleanersAdvisor guide, we’ll discuss several ways to get rid of dogs odor and keep your home smelling fresh.
The Main Causes of Dog Smell on Your Couch
Before we dive into the methods on how to get dog smell out of the couch, it’s important to understand the causes of the odor. Here are some of the common reasons why your couch might smell like your furry friend:
- Dog hair and dander: As dogs shed their hair and skin cells, they can accumulate on your couch and emit a distinct odor.
- Sweat and body odor: Just like humans, dogs sweat and emit body odor. When they spend a lot of time on your couch, their sweat and odor can transfer onto the fabric.
- Urine and fecal matter: Accidents happen, and if your dog has had an accident on the couch, the urine and fecal matter can leave a lasting smell.
How to Get Dog Smell Out of Couch: Effective Ways
If you’re struggling with a smelly couch, don’t worry – there are several ways to get rid of the odor and keep your home smelling fresh. Here is some:
1. Vacuum Your Couch
The first step in getting rid of the dog smell in your couch is to thoroughly vacuum it. Use a vacuum with a pet hair attachment to pick up any loose pet hair and dander. Be sure to vacuum all of the cushions and any crevices where pet hair might be hiding. This will not only help remove the odor-causing particles, but also prevent them from building up in the future.
2. Use an Enzyme Cleaner
If your dog has had accidents on your couch, an enzyme cleaner can help break down and neutralize the odor-causing bacteria. Follow the instructions on the cleaner carefully, as different products may have different application methods. Enzyme cleaners are specifically designed to break down and remove organic matter, such as urine and saliva, which can help eliminate the odor. Here’s how to use enzyme cleaners to get dog smell out of your couch:
- Choose an enzyme cleaner that’s safe for use on upholstery.
- Follow the instructions on the label and apply the cleaner to the affected areas of your couch.
- Let the cleaner sit for at least 15 minutes
- Use a clean cloth to blot up the excess moisture.
- Let the couch air dry completely.
Note: Enzyme cleaners may need to be applied more than once to completely eliminate the odor.
3. Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that can help neutralize the dog smell in your couch. Sprinkle baking soda liberally over the surface of your couch and let it sit for several hours. Then, use a vacuum to pick up the baking soda. This will not only remove the odor, but also leave your couch smelling fresh. Here’s how to use baking soda to get dog smell out of your couch:
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally over the surface of your couch, paying special attention to the areas where your dog likes to sit or lay down.
- Let the baking soda sit for at least 15 minutes or up to an hour.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment to vacuum up the baking soda. Make sure to get into all the crevices and corners.
- If the smell persists, repeat the process until the odor is completely gone.
4. Try White Vinegar
White vinegar is another natural deodorizer that can help get rid of the dog smell in your couch. The vinegar smell will dissipate once it dries, leaving your couch fresh and clean. Here’s how to use vinegar to get dog smell out of your couch:
- Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution onto the surface of your couch, making sure to cover all the areas where the dog smell is most prominent.
- Let the solution sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Use a clean cloth or paper towels to blot up the excess moisture.
- Let the couch air dry completely.
5. Steam Cleaning
Steam cleaning is a powerful method for deep cleaning your couch and removing odors. Here’s how to steam clean your couch:
- Rent or purchase a steam cleaner specifically designed for upholstery.
- Fill the steam cleaner with hot water and the cleaning solution recommended by the manufacturer.
- Use the steam cleaner to clean your entire couch, paying special attention to the areas where the dog smell is most prominent.
- Once you’ve finished steam cleaning, use a clean cloth to blot up any excess moisture.
- Let the couch air dry completely.
6. Consider Professional Cleaning
If all else fails, you may want to consider having your couch professionally cleaned. A professional cleaning service will have the equipment and expertise necessary to thoroughly clean your couch and get rid of any lingering dog smell. This option may be more expensive, but it can be worth it if the odor is particularly stubborn or if your couch is due for a deep cleaning.
Tricks for Keeping Your Couch Smelling Fresh
Once you’ve gotten rid of the dog smell in your couch, there are a few things you can do to keep it smelling fresh:
- Use a pet-friendly fabric spray to keep your couch smelling fresh in between cleanings.
- Consider covering your couch with a throw blanket or slipcover to protect it from pet hair and drool.
- Keep your dog’s bedding clean and regularly groomed to minimize shedding and dander.
Things Avoid When Dealing with Dog Odor
To avoid dog odor, here are some things you should avoid:
- Avoid giving your dog baths too frequently as it can strip their skin of natural oils and cause irritation.
- Avoid using human shampoo or soap on your dog as it can be too harsh for their skin and cause dryness or itching.
- Avoid leaving your dog’s wet fur to air dry as it can create a musty smell. Instead, towel-dry your dog thoroughly and use a blow dryer on a low setting.
- Avoid using strong perfumes or air fresheners to mask the odor as it can irritate your dog’s sensitive nose and respiratory system.
- Avoid allowing your dog to roll in smelly substances like garbage or animal feces, as it can create a strong, persistent odor that’s difficult to remove.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners to clean your dog’s bedding or toys as it can irritate their skin and cause allergic reactions.
- Avoid neglecting your dog’s dental hygiene as bad breath is often a sign of dental problems. Regular brushing and dental check-ups can help prevent odors from developing.
How to Get Dog Smell Out of Couch: Additional Tips
This video shares 7 ways to get dog pee smell out of a couch. Easy and simple!
How to Get Dog Smell Out of Couch FAQs
Getting rid of dog smell on your couch may seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and techniques, it’s definitely doable. Whether you choose to use natural ingredients or deep cleaning methods, be patient and persistent, as it may take multiple attempts to completely eliminate the odor.
Remember, prevention is key, so try to clean your couch regularly and use covers or throws to protect it from dog hair and odor. With these tips and tricks, you’ll soon be able to enjoy a fresh-smelling and comfortable couch, even with your furry friend around!