Published by Ahmad Jamal on April 19, 2023 | Last updated on May 14, 2023
Toilets get clogged when any form of incompatible objects block the passage of water into and out from the toilet.
Sadly, you can’t notice a clogged toilet unless the toilet clogged with poop, and you try to flush them all, but the toilet can’t operate normally, and you’re now stuck with a toilet clogged with poop.
However, this CleanersAdvisor guide will help you understand what clogs a toilet, and what can break down poop in toilet to get a faster result.
But, we’ll focus more on how to solve the whole problem when your main issue is a toilet clogged with poop, by removing whatever reason standing behind that clogged toilet.
By the end of this CleanersAdvisor guide, we’ll even provide you with a video on how to unclog a toilet using salt only.
Facing problems with feces, check those guides on How to Get Poop Smell Out of Clothes & How to Clean Poop Out of Underwear, as we’re pretty familiar with such problems created by poop.
What Clogs a Toilet?
Even with the most careful people who attempt to maintain their toilets by applying certain precautions, clogs can still form over time.
Those clogs can be caused by using the wrong toilet paper, or too much toilet paper, or using cleaning wet wipes that may be marketed as “flushable” but your toilet feels otherwise.
Moreover, paper towels, cotton balls, feminine products, and other items you feel can be flushed down a toilet can be the reason why your toilet is clogged in the first place.
It’s not your poop, noticing a clogged toilet with poop means there are deeper problems you have to deal with.
And you shall, by the end of this CleanersAdvisor guide you’ll find how to solve the deeper problems.
But for now, let’s attempt to break down poop in the toilet.
What Breaks Down Poop in Toilet?
Breaking down poop in a toilet can occur in multiple ways, most of which can be carried out using common household products.
Therefore, use warm water with liquid dishwashing soap as a first solution, or mix vinegar & baking soda with warm water as a second solution.
Chemicals can also work well against poop like bleach, but we’ll stick to the best solution: Warm water and a plunger.
Here’s how to break down poop in a toilet with warm water and a plunger.
- Remove half of the water inside the toilet.
- Prepare half a bucket of warm water, and pour it into the toilet bowl.
- Let the warm water dissolve the poop partially for 15 minutes.
- Position your plunger on the bowl, make sure it covers the entire passage to the toilet trap, then plunge in and out for 20-30 seconds with relevant force.
Now, the poop is in a much weaker state, and a single flushing would break it down for good.
Toilet Clogged With Poop: Solutions
Let’s solve the Toilet Clogged With Poop problem, how to get the toilet unclogged, regardless of the state of poop inside it.
1. Unclog the Toilet with a Soapy Solution
Different soapy solutions can be the solution towards getting the clogging done, whatever solution you feel available you should use it.
Those solutions are: Dishwashing liquid, liquid soap, shampoo, soap bars, or even baking soda & vinegar solution.
Here’s how to unclog toilet with soapy solution:
- Start by filling a bucket with hot water.
- Add the dishwashing liquid, soap, shampoo, or cut some smaller pieces of your soap bars to the hot water inside the bucket.
- Slowly pour the hot water solution into the toilet, and let the solution dissolve the clogging.
- Once the water in the toilet starts going down, then the clog has been dislodged.
- Repeat if necessary until the water starts going down the toilet.
- Flush the toilet a couple of times after you’re done to remove the residue left.
2. Unclog the Toilet with a Hanger Snake
You can unclog your toilet with a simple tool like the hanger snake that’s made of solid wires.
Just take the old wire hanger and straighten the bottom end, while keeping the hook end properly intact.
Wrap an old rag around the hook so you don’t damage the porcelain.
Start pushing the wire deep into the pipe to force out the clog.
Always make sure you’re wearing proper protection, and in this situation you’ll need to wear rubber gloves so that you don’t cut yourself in the process.
3. Unclog the Toilet with a Wet/Dry Vacuum
Wet/Dry vacuums can be the solution to clogged toilets if your ShopVac or Wet/Dry Vacuums are powerful enough.
You can use your wet/dry vacuum to unclog the clogged toilet with force, but you’ll need to check some boxes beforehand:
- Remove any bags from the vacuum so you’re now dealing with both types of dirt, the wet and the dry. (Some vacuums are bagless so you won’t need to do so)
- Attach a hose and a small diameter cleaning head to the vacuum to suck the excess water out of the toilet.
- Push the vacuum hose partway into the drain so that it sits just before the U-bend in the pipe.
- Make sure gaps along the hose are filled properly so the vacuum starts operating with a tight seal on the water coming into the vacuum.
- Now turn the vacuum on, and the clogging should be pulled into the vacuum’s tank.
If you’d like to obtain a powerful wet/dry vacuum, check this guide and find its specifications yourself
How to Unclog a Toilet with Salt
Here’s a video explaining in depth How to Unclog a Toilet with Salt
To Wrap Up
We managed to tackle down every solution possible when dealing with a toilet clogged with poop.
However, sometimes those problems become harder and harder regardless of how much effort you put into getting the toilet unclogged, and in such situations, our CleanersAdvisor suggestions would be to call a professional plumber to fix the problems for good.
Feel free to tell us more about how you fixed your poop clogging related problem in the comments section below.