Published by Enaam Siam on July 20, 2023 | Last updated on July 30, 2023
A fireplace is an excellent source of heat and comfort during the colder months of the year. However, with its use comes the need for proper maintenance and cleaning. One of the essential tools you need for cleaning is a fireplace vacuum.
But with so many options available in the market, it can be challenging to choose the right one. In this CleanersAdvisor guide, we will guide you through everything you need to know about fireplace vacuums and how to choose the best one for your needs.
- Our Testing on the Best Fireplace Vacuum
- What is a Fireplace Vacuum?
- Types of Fireplace Vacuums
- Benefits of Using a Fireplace Vacuum
- Choosing the Appropriate Fireplace Vacuum
- Why You Need a Fireplace Vacuum?
- 4 Best Fireplace Vacuum Models
- Our Top Pick
- Plow & Hearth Heavy-Duty, Heat-Resistant Fireplace Warm Ash Vacuum Review
- Fireplace Vacuum Models Compared
- Fireplace Vacuum FAQs
Our Testing on the Best Fireplace Vacuum
During Cleaners Advisor thorough testing, we have identified the best fireplace vacuum that excels in both performance and safety.
This fireplace vacuum consistently demonstrated exceptional suction power, effectively removing ash, soot, and debris from fireplace and wood stoves.
Based on our comprehensive testing, we confidently recommend this fireplace vacuum as the top choice for its superior cleaning capabilities, safety features, and overall customer satisfaction, ensuring a clean and tidy fireplace area.
What is a Fireplace Vacuum?
A fireplace vacuum is a specialized vacuum designed to clean up the ash, soot, and debris that accumulates in and around a fireplace or wood stove.
It typically has a high-efficiency particular air (HEPA) filter to prevent fine ash particles from escaping into the air, making it an ideal tool for maintaining the cleanliness of your fireplace, which not only improves its appearance but also prolongs its lifespan.
Types of Fireplace Vacuums
Fireplace vacuums are specialized vacuums designed for cleaning fireplaces, stoves, and other heating appliances. They are typically more powerful and have special features that allow them to handle the ash, soot, and debris that accumulates in these appliances.
There are several tested types of fireplace vacuums available on the market, each with its own unique features and benefits. Here are some of the most common types:
- Ash Canister Vacuum: This is a basic type of fireplace vacuum that is designed to clean up ash and other debris from fireplaces, wood stoves, and pellet stoves. It typically features a metal canister that is lined with a heat-resistant material to prevent it from getting damaged by hot ash. These vacuums usually have a low suction power and are relatively inexpensive.
- Cyclonic Ash Vacuum: This type of vacuum uses cyclonic action to separate the ash and debris from the air stream, which helps to prevent clogs and ensure that the vacuum maintains a consistent suction power. These vacuums are typically more expensive than basic ash canister vacuums, but they are also more powerful and efficient.
- Wet/Dry Ash Vacuum: This type of vacuum is designed to handle wet and dry debris, making it ideal for cleaning up water, ash, and other debris from fireplaces and stoves. They typically feature a special filter that is designed to handle wet debris, and they may also have a detachable tank for easy emptying.
- Fireplace Ash Vacuum with HEPA Filter: HEPA filters are designed to capture microscopic particles, including dust, pollen, and other allergens. Fireplace vacuums with HEPA filters are ideal for people with allergies or asthma, as they can help to improve indoor air quality.
- Fireplace Ash Vacuum with Metal Hose: This type of vacuum features a metal hose that is designed to be heat-resistant and durable. It is ideal for use with wood stoves and other heating appliances that generate high temperatures.
- Backpack Fireplace Vacuum: This type of vacuum is worn on the back like a backpack and is ideal for cleaning up large areas or for use in commercial settings. They typically have a higher suction power and larger capacity than other types of fireplace vacuums.
Benefits of Using a Fireplace Vacuum
Fire place can be great source of warmth and ambiance in your home, bout they can also be a major source of mess and potential danger if not properly maintained. One of the most effective tools for keeping your fireplace and safe is a fireplace vacuum.
Using a fireplace vacuum has several benefits, including:
- Faster and More Efficient Cleaning: With a fireplace vacuum, you can clean up ash and soot mush faster and more efficiently than with a dustpan and broom.
- Better Air Quality”: When you burn wood in your fireplace, it releases smoke and other particles into the air. Over time, these particles can accumulate in your home and have a negative impact on your indoor air quality. The HEPA filter in a fireplace vacuum traps small ash particles, preventing them from becoming airborne and improving indoor air quality.
- Increased Safety: One of the biggest dangers of a dirty fireplace is the risk of fire. When ashes and debris build up in your fireplace or wood stove, they can easily ignite and cause a dangerous fire. By regularly using a fireplace vacuum to remove this debris, you can significantly reduce this risk and keep your home and family safe.
- Easier Maintenance: Cleaning up a fireplace can be a messy and time-consuming task, but using a fireplace vacuum can make it much easier and more efficient. With a high-powered motor and specialized filter, a fireplace vacuum can quickly and effectively remove a, and other debris from your fireplace, allowing you to enjoy your fire without the hassle of cleaning up afterward.
- Saves Time and Effort: Cleaning a fireplace can be a time-consuming and messy task. A fireplace vacuum can save you time and effort by making the cleaning process quicker and less messy. You won’t have to spend hours cleaning your fireplace manually, and you won’t have to deal with ash and debris getting all over your floor.
- Versatile: A fireplace vacuum is not just limited to cleaning fireplaces and stoves. It can also be used for other household cleaning tasks, such as cleaning up spilled kitty litter or vacuuming the garage.
Choosing the Appropriate Fireplace Vacuum
When purchasing a fireplace vacuum, there are several tested factors to consider to ensure that you get the right one for your needs. Here are some important factors to consider:
- Type of debris: Consider the type of debris you will be cleaning up, such as ash, soot, or other types of debris. Different types of vacuums are designed to handle different types of debris, so make sure you choose one that is suitable for the type of debris you will be cleaning.
- Suction power: The suction power of the vacuum is an important consideration, especially if you will be cleaning up a large area or heavy debris. Look for a vacuum with a high suction power to ensure that it can handle the job effectively.
- Capacity: The capacity of the vacuum is also important, as it determines how much debris the vacuum can hold before it needs to be emptied. If you have a large fireplace or stove, look for a vacuum with a larger capacity to avoid having to empty it frequently.
- Filters: Consider the type of filters the vacuum uses, as this can affect its performance and ease of use. Some vacuums have replaceable filters, while others have reusable filters that can be washed and reused.
- Hose length: The length of the hose can also be an important consideration, especially if you have a large fireplace or stove. Look for a vacuum with a hose that is long enough to reach all areas of the fireplace or stove without having to move the vacuum around too much.
- Durability: Consider the durability of the vacuum, as it will be exposed to heat and potentially abrasive debris. Look for a vacuum with a sturdy construction and heat-resistant materials to ensure that it lasts for a long time.
By considering these tested factors, you can choose a fireplace vacuum that is suitable for your needs and helps you keep your heating appliances clean and functioning efficiently.
Why You Need a Fireplace Vacuum?
- Traditional Vacuums Aren’t Designed for Ash and Soot
Trying to use a traditional vacuum to clean up ash and soot is a recipe for disaster. These vacuums aren’t designed for that kind of debris, and attempting to use one can damage the vacuum and create fire hazard.
- Ash and Soot Can Be Dangerous
In addition to being a nuisance, ash and soot can also be dangerous. They can irritate your lungs and cause respiratory issues, especially if you have asthma or other respiratory problems.
- A Fireplace Vacuum Makes Cleaning Easier
Using a fireplace vacuum makes cleaning up after a fire much easier. Instead of struggling to scoop up ash and soot with a dustpan and broom, you can simply vacuum it up with ease.
4 Best Fireplace Vacuum Models
Here’re the best tested fireplace vacuum models:
- Pellethead Ash Vault Pro cordless
- BACOENG ASH Vacuum
- Stealth Portable Ash Vacuum
- Loveless Ash Vacuum Cougar+
1. Pellethead Ash Vault Pro 5-Gallon 10-Amp Power Ash Vacuum with Hose Accessories and Heat-Resistant HEPA Filters Review
“Our Testers Pick”
Wattage: 700 Watts
Capacity: 5 Gallons
Noise Level: 78 dB
Package Dimensions: 17″L x 13″W x 13″H
Weight: 12.32 Pounds
Ash Vault Pro traps dust and ash before it spreads; Safely suctions up and seals away cool or warm ash from fireplaces, pellet stoves, BBQ grills, pizza ovens, bonfire pits, and more.
It saves time and money with the two washable heat-resistant HEPA filters; made with stainless steel to capture and safely seal warm ash and debris.
This vacuum is perfectly sized and lightweight at 12 LBS; Ash Vault Pro is mounted on wheels that will roll around anywhere you need to use a vac; Easily reach odd angles and hard-to-access areas with the 7-foot hose and 10-foot cord.
What Our Testers Say About Pellethead Ash Vault Pro 5-Gallon 10-Amp Power Ash Vacuum
“The 10-amp motor delivers strong suction power, effectively capturing fine ash particles and preventing them from spreading during cleaning. The vacuum’s high-quality filtration system ensures that even the finest ash particles are trapped inside, maintaining a clean and dust-free environment. Overall, the Pellethead Ash Vault Pro 5-Gallon 10-Amp Power Ash Vacuum offers excellent performance, durability, and safety features, making it an essential tool for anyone with a fireplace or wood-burning appliance.”
Our Testers Ratings
2. BACOENG 5.3-Gallon Ash Vacuum with Double Stage Filtration System, 10 Amp Ash Vacuum for Pellet Stoves with 1200W Powerful Suction, 5FT Metal Hose and 360° Rotating Wheel Review
Wattage: 1200 Watts
Capacity: 5.3 Gallons
Noise Level: 75 dB
Package Dimensions: 18 x 11.5 x 11.5 Inches
Weight: 12.17 Pounds
The BACOENG ASH200L ash vacuum cleaner is designed specifically for cold-ash pickup out of fireplaces, wood stoves, pellet stoves and BBQ grills. With its powerful 1200W motor, assorted nozzle attachments, and assorted selection of accessories, you can easily use the ASH Vacuum for most indoor jobs.
Equipped with a reusable HEPA and a washable filter bag, BACOENG ASH Vacuum traps fine dust particles and prevents stray particles from remaining in the air and settling in your home after you complete the job.
In addition, the filtration system works at high speeds to ensure the motor remains free from damage caused by ash and dust.
Finally, the ASH Vacuum pays special attention to the details. The motor’s over-heating prevention mechanism ensures your safety.
What Our Testers Say About BACOENG 5.3-Gallon Ash Vacuum
“The BACOENG 5.3-Gallon Ash Vacuum is a reliable and effective cleaning solution for ash and debris removal. Its large capacity, strong suction power, and durable construction make it a valuable tool for maintaining a clean and safe environment around wood-burning appliances.”
Our Testers Ratings
3. Stealth 4.8 Gallon Ash Vacuum, Portable Ash Vac with Powerful Suction for Fireplaces, Wood Burning Stoves, Bonfire Pits, Pellet Stoves, Model: EMV05S Review
Wattage: 800 Watts
Capacity: 18 Liters
Noise Level: 80 dB
Surface Recommendation: Hard Floor
Package Dimensions: 13″L x 13″W x 13″H Inches
Battery Life: 300 Hours
Weight: 8.91 Pounds
The cartridge filter can keep small ash particles in the container, effectively prevent small dust particles from escaping into your breathing space and protect the motor from being damaged. In addition, the filter can be washable, reusable and replaceable.
The ash vacuum tank was made of durable iron metal with spray-paint craft, the inside of the ash tube is made of metal, ideal for playing a good role in fire resistance. The aluminum extension tube will not be hot even absorb hot ash. In addition, notice: do not use this ash vacuum cleaner when ash temperature is above 40 degrees.
What Our Testers Say About Stealth 4.8 Gallon Ash Vacuum
“The Stealth 4.8 Gallon Ash Vacuum offers impressive performance, durability, and safety features, making it an essential tool for anyone with a fireplace or wood-burning appliance. Its efficient ash removal capabilities contribute to a clean and tidy living environment.”
Our Testers Ratings
4. Loveless Ash Vacuum Cougar+ for pellet stoves–Made in the USA. Fireplace vacuum, pellet stove vacuum cleaner for hot ash Review
Capacity: 6 Gallons
Noise Level: 80 dB
Package Dimensions: 12 x 12 x 20.5 Inches
Weight: 15.32 Pounds
The Cougar+ is made by the Love-Less Ash Company right here in the USA. It features a patented dual filtration system that captures the smallest of ash particles found in wood stoves, pellet stoves, fireplaces, corn stoves, barbecues and pizza ovens.
It is Designed to remove fine ash, this vacuum is capable of removing cool to warm fine ash, not hot ash or coals. Attempting to suck up large pieces of ash or coal will result in a clogged hose or damaging the unit.
Simply use the metal nozzle to break down any larger pieces of ash before vacuuming them up. The filters and hose are flame resistant, so don’t fret if you suck up a hot ember or two. An external agitator rod allows the user to clean the filters without opening the unit.
The Cougar+ has a thicker motor housing than its predecessor, the Cheetah II Ash Vacuum, making it quieter during use. It has a 6 gallon canister with 3 gallons of capacity. This vacuum has a ten-year limited warranty.
What Our Testers Say About Loveless Ash Vacuum
“With its specialized design, the Cougar+ effectively removes ash and debris from pellet stoves and fireplaces without the risk of damaging the vacuum or releasing fine particles into the air. Its high-quality construction and heat-resistant components allow for safe handling of hot ashes, providing peace of mind during cleaning. Overall, the Loveless Ash Vacuum Cougar+ is a reliable, well-built, and efficient tool for maintaining a clean and safe environment around pellet stoves and fireplaces.”
Our Testers Ratings
Our Top Pick
Plow & Hearth Fireplace Vacuum
Plow & Hearth Heavy-Duty Fireplace Warm Ash Vacuum is an excellent value for its smart design and bonus accessories. This fireplace vacuum handles both warm and cool ash, so you don’t have to freeze while you wait for your pellet or wood stove to cool completely before cleaning – a real plus in the wintertime.
Also, the Warm Ash Vacuum comes with two fire-resistant, reusable filters and a bonus 5-piece accessory kit. The kit includes: crevice tool, brush nozzle, pellet stove hose, 1¼” adapter and handy storage bag. You’ll be able to clean even tight spaces, troughs, seams and pockets.
With an extra-long, metal-lined 10’L hose (the longest on the market), 16’L power cord and rolling design with four sturdy wheels, this Warm Ash Vacuum makes ash removal easier than ever. Now cleaning your fireplace, wood stove, pellet stove or BBQ grill can be a quick task.
No more dusty ash spilling everywhere and making a mess! No more having to wait for cold ashes before you can clean. Heat-resistant metal canister with large 4-gallon capacity. Convenient design features on-board accessory storage and top carrying handle.
You can even connect the hose to the air outlet to use as a blower. Great power, easy to use, and a fantastic value!
Here is a table of this vacuum’s specifications:
|13.5 x 13.5 x 18.5 inches
|Portable, Wheels, Compact
|Metal, Plastic, Stainless Steel, Wood
Plow & Hearth Heavy-Duty, Heat-Resistant Fireplace Warm Ash Vacuum Review
Durable stainless-steel canister has a powerful 10-amp motor, metal lined hose and sturdy plastic base with four wheels for stability.
Comes with an extra-long 10’L hose, 16’L power cord, and a bonus accessory kit that includes a crevice tool, brush, pellet stove hose, adapter and storage bag. Also includes two heavy-duty, reusable, washable filters for continued use.
What Our Testers Say About Plow & Hearth Fireplace Vacuum
“This vacuum is designed to efficiently clean and remove ash and debris from fireplaces, wood stoves, and pellet stovPlow & Hearth Fireplace Vacuums typically come with sturdy construction and heat-resistant components, allowing safe handling of hot ashes without any risk of damage or safety concerns. They often feature powerful motors and advanced filtration systems to effectively capture fine ash particles, ensuring a clean and dust-free environment.”
Our Testers Ratings
Fireplace Vacuum Models Compared
|Vacuums/ Our Testers Rating In Each Category
|1. Pellethead Ash Vault Pro cordless
|2. BACOENG ASH Vacuum
|3. Stealth Portable Ash Vacuum
|4. Loveless Ash Vacuum Cougar+
|5. Plow & Hearth Heavy-Duty, Heat-Resistant Fireplace Warm Ash Vacuum
Fireplace Vacuum FAQs
A fireplace vacuum is an essential tool for anyone with a wood-burning fireplace. It makes the job of cleaning up ash and debris quick and easy, while also ensuring that you’re able to clean up thoroughly and avoid the risk of a fire caused by leftover embers.
When choosing a fireplace vacuum, be sure to consider the tested features that are important to you, such as a metal nozzle, a high-efficiency filter, and heat resistance, as well as the size, weight, and price of the vacuum.
By following basic safety precautions and disposing of the ash and debris properly, you can enjoy the warmth and beauty of your wood-burning fireplace without any of the hassle or risk.
In this video, Elissa from NorthlineExpress is going to guide you how using an ash vacuum can be great to clean your fireplace, with a few tips and tricks you need to learn to use your ash vacuum safely and most effective without damaging your product.