Published by Hala Zaqqout on May 17, 2022 | Last updated on May 14, 2023
Toms shoes are comfortable and fun to wear but have you ever wanted to clean your toms shoes that got wet from wearing them day in and day out? They’re pretty muddy and smelly now and need special cleaning. But how to clean toms shoes?
It might be time to give them a good cleaning. Don’t worry, it’s not as difficult as it sounds—if anything, the washing process is quite simple! Follow along and your toms will look cleaner in no time!
For that, Cleaners Advisor has made an effort to answer your question “how to clean toms shoes?” and provided various methods of how to clean toms shoes before you just go ahead and put your shoes in the washer!
Materials and Tools Needed
- A Washing Machine
- A Soft Bristle Brush (A Toothbrush)
- Laundry Detergent
- Unconcentrated Dish Soap
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Soda
Are Toms Shoes Washable?
Yes, most toms can be washed. Most toms shoes are made of canvas and are the most popular and common because they’re comfy and easy to clean by hand or in the washing machine.
Toms, on the other hand, are available in other materials including leather, organic cotton, chambray, lace, and more.
But how to wash toms shoes?
How to Clean Toms Shoes?
There are several different ways in which our toms shoes can be washed, each with its own set of pros and cons. We recommend hand-washing to everyone since it keeps your toms shoes in a good condition,” but choose whichever method best matches your needs.
A. By Hand
Handwashing is the most effective and safest method of caring for toms shoes. This will ensure that the color and material are preserved for as long as possible.
And with these few simple steps, you can do it easily!
Hand-washing silk products of any kind is the best way to clean them without causing damage to the material. Hand-cleaning can extend the life of silk and keep it shiny even after long periods of use. Here’re simple steps to follow when washing pillowcase and sheet by hand:
1. Dust the outside of the TOMS with a soft, dry bristle brush. This will remove dirt and debris from the surface.
2. If your shoes are stained, fill a bowl with cold water. Unless you’re cleaning multiple pairs of shoes, you won’t need much water.
3. Add a tablespoon of mild laundry detergent to the bowl and mix thoroughly, then allow 30 minutes after gently rubbing it in. Make sure the detergent doesn’t contain bleach, as this could stain your shoes.
4. Apply the solution to your shoes using a soft brush. Scrub the fabric until the shoes are clean in one direction.
5. Let your toms air dry. If you put your Toms in the dryer, the cloth will shrink and they may not fit, therefore air drying is preferable. The amount of scrubbing you had to do will determine how long they will take to dry. After a few hours, they should be completely dry.
6. Clean stubborn stains on the spot. If your Toms are still stained after drying, continue the washing process. Instead of washing the whole shoe this time, focus on the tough spots. If that doesn’t work, you can put your toms in the washing machine.
Check out this video below and learn how to clean toms shoes by hand.
B. Washing Machine
If you don’t have the time, patience, or physical ability to hand-wash toms shoes, they can also be machine-washed. Here are some easy and simple steps to follow when washing your toms shoes.
1. Any stains should be pre-treated by putting a mild laundry detergent into the affected areas. Allow 30 minutes before moving to the next step.
2. Set your washing machine to a gentle cycle with cold water, such as the handwash cycle. You should use your washing machine’s gentlest cycle. It could have a label that says “delicates” or “lingerie.”
3. Add ¼ of the normal amount of a mild laundry detergent, then add the soap to the washing machine. Add it directly to the drum or into the detergent dispenser. The detergent should be mild but not bleach-based.
4. Put the shoes in a mesh bag to protect them during the cycle.
5. If you have a front-loading washer, add the shoes to the front-loading washer and start the cycle. When the drum is about ¾ of the way full, add your toms shoes.
6. Let the cycle run completely before removing the shoes.
7. Let your Toms air dry. The fabric of your Toms may shrink and rip if you put them in the dryer. Instead, remove your shoes from the washer and allow them to air-dry overnight.
8. If your Toms are still stained after you take them out of the washer, spot clean them. Combine cold water and 2 squirts of mild dish soap in a mixing bowl. Scrub the stain with a soft-bristle brush dipped in the mixture. Then put your Toms back in the washing machine.
Watch this video below and follow these steps when cleaning toms shoes in the washing machine.
C. Deodorizing the Leather Soles of Your Toms
Wondering how to clean smelly toms? They’re pretty muddy and smelly now, more likely to cause blisters and create the perfect environment for bacteria and mold to grow.
It will need some type of cleaning to deodorize and freshen your shoes, so they’ll smell as good as new. The good news is that you won’t need any expensive deodorizers to get rid of the odor from your toms.
Wrap some baking soda or baby powder in a cloth (tie it to keep the baking soda from spilling) and place it in your shoes to get rid of the smell.
Make sure the baking soda is put in a cloth rather than directly in the shoes, as direct contact with baking soda may eventually crack and damage the insoles.
Additionally, applying small amounts of tea tree oil or tea bags inside of the shoe can help decrease and prevent odors as well as fungus formation.
You can also put a dryer sheet inside the shoe. Leave it in for a few hours and they’ll smell as good as new by the time you take them out in the morning.
How to Dry Toms Shoes?
Always let your toms air dry. It should just take a few hours for them to dry. You can hang them on the washing line, leave them in a well-circulated spot or put them on a drying rack.
It’s preferable to stuff the toms with newspaper so they hold their shape while drying.
If you leave your TOMS in the sun, they may fade but it won’t affect the fit of the shoe in any way.
How to Clean Toms Shoes FAQ
To Wrap Up
You can use any of the methods above of how to clean toms shoes but never put them in the dryer. This can cause fading and shrinking. It can also melt shoe glue which would ruin the shoes completely.
With Cleaners Advisor methods and tricks for how to clean toms shoes, they will be fresh, stain-free, and pristine again in no time.
You’re now ready to take perfect care of your toms shoes.
Share your cleaning tricks of how to clean toms canvas shoes in the comments below and let me know how you get on below in the comments!